In 1993, Fitz’s opened in the Delmar Loop area of University City, a suburb of St. Louis. To assure authenticity, the call went out for a vintage bottling line. Incredibly, a 1940’s bottling line was found in an old barn in Shawano, Wisconsin. It was refurbished and installed at the restaurant, where it is visible from every table on the main floor. Fully operational, the bottling line can turn out one bottle of root beer, or any of our other popular flavors, every second.
The building that houses Fitz’s was built in 1928 for the West End Bank. It became the Delmar Bank in 1933, and was remodeled in 1944 when the attractive art deco façade was added. For a while, during the 1980’s, it was a Chinese restaurant known as The Lantern House.